Dr. Werner Schupp Cologne（Germany）
- < The Functional Aspect in Aligner Orthodontics >
- Abstract : Orthodontics and orofacial orthopaedics can create a nice smile and a physiological function. A good facial aesthetic is important, but function also. Especially in growing children we should not forget the functional treatment based on Roux’s concept. With the neuromuscular treatment founded by Fraenkel we are able to form the growing face. In a cl. II and in a cl. III relationship we control the sagittal growth, a narrow arch will be expanded with a Fraenkel appliance. The effect of this therapy is not limited to the jaws and face. Due to the influence on the TMJ and the neuromuscular system we have also influence onto the musculoskeletal system. The skeletal effect of the functional Fraenkel appliance is evident. Malocclusion is not possible to treat alone with the functional appliance. Years ago we had to use fixed mechanics to move the teeth into a correct position. These days we use aligner orthodontics to correct the malocclusion. Since years we combine the Fraenkel appliance with the aligner therapy.
The lecture will present basics of the functional concept and the neuromuscular system as well as the musculoskeletal system. Step by step the treatment procedure will be demonstrated under practical aspects.
- Keynote Speaker ＜Fundamentals of interdisciplinary cooperation between orthodontics and restorative dentistry with special attention to the function.＞
- The dentistry has direct influence on the temporomandibular joint function and on the neuromuscular system by changing the occlusion. The temporomandibular joints, masticatory muscles and the teeth have a not to be underestimated impact onto the entire organism. This relationship is complex and multilayered, and described in detail in various studies.
For the planning of a complex interdisciplinary treatment the speakers will give a well-defined schedule as a prerequisite for successful treatment. The algorithm of this sequence is shown in detail and described in various different treatment strategies.
Objective of dentistry in this context is the occlusal therapy, which often requires interaction of orthodontics and restorative dentistry. The realization in the dental practice today takes place for the most part in a digital workflow. The virtual orthodontic treatment planning (ClinCheck Software) and the current possibilities of CAD / CAM technology in the functional therapeutic and restorative dentistry will also be presented in various treatment examples.
- Keynote Speaker < Occlusal concept for invisalign treatment >
- Orofacial, orthopedic, and orthodontic treatments always start with the case history, the patient records, and then the diagnosis. Treatment planning for use of Invisalign system differs from other techniques such as fixed appliances. The Invisalign system can be used to treat almost all problems and it can be combined with other techniques. Strategic planning with the Invisalign system is crucial and one of the main factors that contributes to its success.
The lecture will demonstrate the functional diagnosis, treatment planning and the proper handling of the ClinCheck Pro – software.
Message from Dr. Kenji Ojima to Dr. Werner Schupp
Studies of dentistry at the University of Münster (Westfälische Wilhelms Universität) final exam 1985, dissertation 1986.
Postgraduate student in Orthodontics from 1987 – 1989 at the Universtiy of Münster (Westfälische Wilhelms Universität), department of orthodontics, director Ms Prof. Dr. U. Ehmer, certified specialist of “orthodontics” since 1989.
Collaboration in the orthodontic pivate practice of Dr. D.E. Toll, D.D.S. (USA) 1989 and 1990.
Own private practice as a specialist for orthodontics in Cologne.- Rodenkirchen since 1990 together with Dr. Talebloo and Dr. Haubrich.
Publication of the books:
“Funktionslehre in der Kieferorthopädie” in 2000 (ISBN: 3-928055-03-8) together with Dr. Toll “Kraniomandibuläres und Muskuloskelettales System” in 2012 by Quintessenz Publ. together with Dr. Boisserée.
Publications of articles concerning orthodontic therapy, function and pain therapy in several national and international journals Speaker in Europe, Brasil, USA, China, Japan.
Certified user of the invisalign technique – Preferred Provider invisalign® and speaker Align Technology, till now more then 2000 Patients treated with Invisalign.
Certified in Manual medicine and Osteopathy for Orthodontics (DGMM / GBO)”
Editor for “Manuelle Medizin” (Springer Verlag)
Founding member and Past President of the German Board of Orthodontics and Orofacial Orthopedics (GBO)
Member of the interdisciplinary group „Zahn und Mensch“ / www.zahnundmensch.org
Lecturer Medical University Innsbruck, Austria
Former Visiting Professor, University of Ferrara, Italy (Chairman Prof. Giuseppe Siciliani)
Visiting Professor, School of Stomatology, Capital Medical University, Beijing, P.R. China (Cairman Prof. Yuxing Bai, D.D.S.,Ph.D)
Former Member of the German Eventing Team